The artists will vary depending on the theme of the show and who is hosting it. The only requirement is that cancer has had an effect on their lives, directly or indirectly, and they want to share their experiences via art.
Who are the artists?
- Healing Art Curator has a roster of extraordinary artists who are interested in receiving invitations to submit their work.
- The participants in an art therapy program can show their resulting artwork.
- Or how about the art department in an educational institution?
- What a stunning gift it would be to everyone involved to have a show with the work from an art therapy class for children who have lost a family member to cancer.
- In a physician’s or medical practice’s database, there are undoubtedly both established and hobby artists among them who would jump at the chance to share their art.
- Maybe you want to host a community art show and we can put out a call-for-artwork to the people in your neighborhood, city or region?
- Do you have employees, customers, patrons, residents?
You get the idea, there are an infinite number of exciting possibilities!
Benefits for Artists
- Time for introspection and relaxation
- Self-expression and the cathartic benefits of creating art
- A reminder that we are not alone, there are so many others who have gone through similar experiences
- Being part of a group, being witnessed
- The opportunity to heal, grieve, learn, and celebrate with our loved ones and our communities
- Closer relationships with caregivers, physicians, healers and team members
Unfortunately, these days almost everyone has been affected by cancer. Cancer patients, their family members, friends, physicians, co-workers, employees, students, friends from yoga class, and so on…all members in this club that nobody wanted to join. Ever.
The role of a Healing Art Curator event host can be as simple as lending the use of a venue, or as involved as hosting an art show and opening event at your venue, tailored to your organization’s identity and mission and including your people as artists and event staff.
Hosting an art show for people affected by cancer is a gift that brings many lasting returns.
If you represent a group, company, or organization that may be interested in hosting an art show in service of people who have been touched by cancer, fill out the event hosting application by clicking on the button below.
Benefits of Hosting
- Deeper community connections and improved relationships
- A meaningful way to be of service
- A visible expression of values
- A unique way of expanding the support you provide
- Financial support for fundraising, charity, programs and services, and artist support
- High-value professional and community exposure
What kind of art?
All kinds. Painting, photography, mixed-media, sculpture, etc. Imagine an art event open to musicians, storytellers, dancers? As for the level of artwork, artists invited to participate can be professional or amateur artists, hobbyists, people who have made art in a certain class or program, or some combination thereof. ♥
Is the art for sale?
Yes! Unless otherwise specified, the art will all be for sale. The proceeds will go to charities, artists, programs and services and to cover the cost of the show. Some shows will be fundraisers for organizations in need of financial support and some will focus on the art and artists more than fundraising. Win-win-win!!!! ♥
When is the art made?
The artwork call-for-entries can be for art that has already been made, art that will have been made by the end of a class or program, or, the show can be planned far enough in advance to give people time to make art inspired by the theme of the show. ♥
Where do the shows happen?
Venues are limited only by the imagination. An office, a local community center, an art gallery, a rented venue, an industrial warehouse, a U-haul truck, etc. It’s a matter of finding the space that will best welcome and tend to the artists and attendees. Geographically speaking, I live in Glendale, AZ. If you don’t live in the Phoenix area, don’t let proximity deter you, I have put on art shows elsewhere. ♥